- Application Guide
- #BAYER360 – the Virtual Reality Career Experience
The cover letter (letter of motivation) is the heart of your application. It takes time to write an interesting letter that puts the right message across. After all, the aim is to show our recruiters in just a few minutes that you are the ideal candidate for a specific vacancy at Bayer.
Normally, you will find many indications of “must-haves” and “nice-to-haves” in the vacancy notice. You should refer specifically to these points and link them to yourself and your experience, skills, competencies and personality. However, you should avoid repeating the information contained in your resume.
Don’t be discouraged if you don't meet all the requirements for the job – not many people do. Your reason for applying may be the key to whether you might be considered for a position - and perhaps eventually hired for it.
What do you stand for?
An individual letter: helpful hints on structuring your letter
As you can see, it is rarely possible to write a standard letter that can be used for several applications. Normally, only certain aspects fit a specific vacancy. For every position you apply for, you should therefore try to think which aspects of your personality could benefit the company in that specific role.
Convincing content also has to be presented attractively. You should therefore stick to the basic rules for letter-writing and make sure there are not spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in your letter. Since applications always pass through several hands at Bayer, we suggest you start your letter with “Ladies and gentlemen” unless the vacancy notice states that you should address your application to a specific person. Even if you have extensive experience and wide-ranging competencies, the art is to be as concise as possible. A letter should not be more than one page.
You can find further information on the appearance and content of letters of motivation in the internet.
Checklist for cover letters
- One-page DIN A4 document
- Contact details should be on the top left: please give your full address and current date
- Make sure the style is appropriate
- No errors
- Details of your present job
- Present your professional suitability for the vacancy
- Why Bayer? Your personal motivation for applying
- Name & signature
- Present yourself professionally and seriously
- Wrong company, contact person or job
- Style is too familiar
- Personal reasons for working for Bayer (e.g. I would not have to move)
- Don’t just list competencies - better: present them as a narrative
- Standard texts copied from the internet
- Identical texts for several applications
Up to you
- Information on your present period of notice and earliest possible start date
- Details of referees
Bayer has launched a new recruiting system that makes it faster and easier for you to apply. Therefore we have two Login-possibilities: